This article will present and explain in detail some of the most cost-effective and efficient ways for removing fluoride traces from drinking water.
It will also address the facts and myths, as well as the positive and negative aspects of each approach, so that you, the reader, have clear facts regarding fluoride and, more significantly, practical strategies for removing the chemical from tap water.
More often, fluoride is present in water, food and soil, and is accumulatively produced in toothpaste, beverages, and other chemical products.
A Harvard Study conducted and published in July 2012, had the following established about contamination of fluoride in water, causing dental and skeletal fluorosis and consequently, bring about thyroid problems.
- 1 6 Ways on How to Get Rid of Fluoride in Water
- 1.1 1. Faucet Mount Filters
- 1.2 2. Water Filter Pitcher
- 1.3 3. Water Bottle with Fluoride Filters
- 1.4 4. Under Sink Fluoride Water Filter
- 1.5 5. Removing Fluoride from Drinking Water Naturally using Sacred basil
- 1.6 6. Countertop Water Filter
- 1.7 Is Fluoride Removed by Boiling Tap Water?
- 1.8 What effects does fluoride have on the body?
- 1.9 Methods for Reducing Fluoride Exposure
- 1.10 Remove Fluoride from your body with 4 Simple Ways
6 Ways on How to Get Rid of Fluoride in Water
1. Faucet Mount Filters
The best faucet mount filters can remove up to 80 different types of water contaminants. Provide superior water filtration performance, affordable, simple to install, and, most importantly, provide the most convenient manner for water filtering solutions.
Have cartridges that are made of micro screen layer and activated coconut coal, which captures: sand, dust, heavy metals, chlorine, cysts, fluoride, metallic taste and odor from the water, thereby eliminating users’ concerns and worries about fluoride in the water.
Furthermore, unlike other filtration methods, the filters use an environmentally friendly method of filtering drinking water and are efficient with less water waste.
Faucet Mount Filters have a universal connection that fits most standard faucets and are simple to install (no need to call an expert).
2. Water Filter Pitcher
Pitchers are inexpensive, convenient and easy way to eliminate fluoride and other contaminants from drinking water.
These fluoride water filters are certified to remove up to 95% of fluoride from water. The cartridges can last for up to five months or longer, offering a half-year supply of clean filtered water at no extra cost.
The downside, however, is that it has a small capacity of filtering, that is only 2-4 liters of water.
Recommended:- Water Filter Pitcher Under $37
3. Water Bottle with Fluoride Filters
Water filtration bottles have improved filtration technology, allowing customers to drink water from any source. These water bottles can filter impurities from any source of water, including a spring, river, or well.
Furthermore, they are excellent in filtering out organic and inorganic pollutants, as well as microorganisms, and remove up to 90% of fluoride from water.
These BPA-free water bottles are ideal for travel, camping, trekking, and other situations when there is no access to clean water. The water bottle has a capacity of 28 oz on average.
4. Under Sink Fluoride Water Filter
The Undersink are upgraded and more precise water filters that aid in the filtration of domestic water. These water filters are placed under the sink and can fit in perfectly.
The filters purify water by ensuring the removal of Chlorine, Lead, Fluoride, Chemicals, and Heavy Metals leaving the water odorless, clean and healthy for consumption.
They not only remove hazardous impurities from the water but also ensure the inclusion of minerals, allowing users to reap the benefits of the water. It leaves minerals like calcium and magnesium behind.
They improve the quality of water that users get by filtering away impurities such as fluoride, lead, and chlorine.
5. Removing Fluoride from Drinking Water Naturally using Sacred basil
The usage of Holy Basil is a simple and natural technique of eliminating fluoride from water. This approach has been put to the test and shown to be successful.
It is less expensive than other fluoride removal procedures now available on the market. Soak 80mg of the leaves and stems in water. They could be fresh or dried in 100ml.
Allow it to soak in fluoridated water containing more than 7 parts per million of fluoride for 8 hours. This will result in the elimination of fluoride in the water for up to 80% efficiency, which is regarded as a safe level for drinking.
6. Countertop Water Filter
Having a countertop water filter that works effectively for you will improve the quality of water you consume, as well as your general health. As a result of the elimination of toxins in your drinking water, you will observe an increase in weight reduction and a boost to your immune system.
The water filter will lower fluoride levels in drinking water to safe levels, as well as heavy metals and other dangerous water contaminants.
Furthermore, by alkalinizing drinking water, a suitable pH level is delivered, making the water safe and healthy, with benefits such as controlling the pH levels of the body and reducing the aging process.
Recommended:- Aquasana vs Berkey vs AquaTru Countertop Comparison
Fluoride is directly found in water, but the concentration that would cause undesirable effects is usually very minimal. Although, fluoride in water is usually safe and does not pose a detectable risk of cancer in human beings; Parents are advised to always instruct their children to rinse their mouths carefully every time after brushing and to avoid swallowing toothpaste.
Further still, they can switch to non-fluoridated toothpaste brands. The installation of a faucet mount filter, will ensure the tap water in the household is fluoride-free. Finally, a safe and natural way to detoxify your whole body against fluoride, tamarind fluoride detox, Iodine, and curcumin is advisable.
Is Fluoride Removed by Boiling Tap Water?
A commonly asked question is if boiling tap water eliminates fluoride, which is one of the most often questioned.
No, it does not,
Does boiling water remove fluoride? Boiling tap water is well known for killing bacteria and dissolving gases like oxygen.
This makes water safe to drink in the event of some type of biological contamination and kills potentially dangerous micro-organisms.
It does not, however, eliminate fluoride from drinking water.
What effects does fluoride have on the body?
1. Dental fluorosis
When a child is exposed to high levels of fluoride he or she is more likely to suffer from mild dental fluorosis.
Specks and white streaks on the enamel will develop on the teeth, this will not affect the health of the child’s teeth, but the teeth discoloration will be noticeable.
High level or excessive fluoride intake can damage the parathyroid gland. In most cases, it can lead to hyper-parathyroidism.
This can result in higher than average calcium concentration in the blood and depletion of bone structures.
3. Neurological problems
In 2017 researchers assessed 299 women fluoride levels during pregnancy and their children aged between 6 and 12 years, the report was published suggesting that fluoride exposure before birth could lead to weaker and poorer cognitive outcomes in future, and a lower score on IQ tests.
Other health problems
International Association of Oral Medicine and Toxicology [IAOMT], an organization that is doing a spirited campaign against the use of fluoride and fluoride dangers, say and documents that, high-level intake of fluoride contributes to the following health problems:
– Early puberty in girls, lower fertility and reproductive issues
– Acne and skin rashers
– High blood pressure and heart failures
Methods for Reducing Fluoride Exposure
Certain factors expose us to fluoride that are unknown to us, here are some of the things you should do to reduce your exposure to fluoride.
- Fluoride vs. Non-Fluoride Toothpaste
If you are currently using toothpaste with fluoride mostly known as fluoridated toothpaste, you should consider switching to a non-fluoridated alternative which will be of benefit to you and your family.
I do believe you may have already obtained enough fluoride through beverage, food and other sources. Even though the fluoride is not swallowed directly, it could still find its way across the tooth gum membrane and directly into the bloodstream. The best advice is to avoid fluoride from this toothpaste and go for the non-fluoridated toothpaste.
A large number of people believe that fluoride plays a role in the protection and prevention of tooth decay; a lot of people do not realize that fluoride causes dental fluorosis, which mostly affects children. Fluoride harmful effects have also been linked to thyroid problems, osteoporosis, endocrine problems, and cancer.
- Drink Fluoride-free Water
Our bodies are made up of 60% of water, which ensures optimum functionality of our bodies. The transfer of nutrients, absorption, digestion, circulation, and production of saliva are just a few of the important tasks performed by bodily fluids. A significant number of individuals drink tap water without realizing that it is the most common source of fluoride consumption on a daily basis.
To greatly reduce, or stop the intake of fluoride through drinking tap water, you should consider the following steps:
1. You should contact your local city water department, to inquire about the fluoride levels in your water.
2. Have a fluoride water filter installed. Currently, the best and proven method to remove fluoride in tap water include the use of de-ionizers, activated alumina, and reverse osmosis.
3. Water Distillation: The third most effective method of removing fluoride from water is to purchase a distillation machine, which may remove up to 95 percent of fluoride from the water.
- Minimize Consumption of Processed Beverages
You will agree with me when I say: “consumption of processed food is a health risk and brings about many health issues”. When fluoridated water is used in the production of juices, soft drinks, and beverages, the fluoride levels may rise to hazardous levels, surpassing the recommended safe limits of 1.5mg per day for children and 4mg per day for adults, respectively.
This may bring about fluoride health risks, such as skeletal and dental fluorosis, and even more severe cases like damage to the parathyroid gland.
Sugary drinks should always be avoided at all costs, because they contain acidic carbonation that causes tooth decay.
- Avoid fluoride supplements
Fluoride supplements such as drops, tablets, and lozenges that were introduced in the 1950s mostly targeting children living in un-fluoridated regions as a substitute for fluoridated water. These supplements are mostly used to prevent tooth decay and dental caries.
However, higher doses of fluoride supplements are unsafe and are known to weaken ligaments, bones, and negatively affect one’s nervous system. In children, high fluoride doses can affect and bring about teeth discoloration on their permanent teeth.
- Reduce intake of green or black tea
Stop drinking too much green or black tea. Both green and black teas contain high levels of fluoride and could immensely contribute to single high fluoride intakes, which would definitely have an impact on your health in the long run.
It is difficult to find tea without fluoride traces, so the best advice is to reduce cups of tea you take in a day so that you can reduce the intake of fluorides in your body.
- Stay away from Fluoridated Salts
Due to a few health benefits of fluoride such as the prevention of tooth decay, some countries including the United States have allowed the fluoride to be added on salt.
Despite this, a recent research found that the health hazards linked with fluoride exceed the benefits in almost all cases. If you are currently living in a country that allows fluoridated salt to be sold, always make sure you check and buy un-fluoridated salt.
- Avoid the use of Teflon-coated pans
Teflon-coated pans or mostly known as non-stick pans which are extremely popular due to the ease of cleaning and a special coating that prevent food from sticking on to the pan surface.
Most of the nonstick pans are coated with Teflon.
Over time the non-stick coating usually peels off thereby increasing fluoride content on food during cooking.
To minimize or avoid fluoride exposure, you should use stainless steel cooking pans for your daily cooking Stainless steel cooking pans are safe, long-lasting, and healthy.
Remove Fluoride from your body with 4 Simple Ways
Below are four proven methods on how to remove fluoride from your body efficiently,
Fluoride, chlorine, and bromine are all bind to the iodine receptors in the body, which displaces iodine, that is why, fluoride toxicity is always associated with iodine deficiency.
Fluoride is not part of heavy metals; that’s why cleansing your body of fluoride is totally different compared to getting rid of heavy metals like mercury.
1. Take Iodine supplementation
2. Always add Boron to your daily intake. It performs a great job of naturally flushing fluoride from the system.
3. Eat Turmeric. Which contains a special primary poly-phenol agent known as curcumin capable of acting as an antioxidant.
4. Fulvic Acid is currently the best natural and most reliable source of electrolytes, it is capable of removing toxins like fluoride at a cellular stage.
Fluoride Facts and Myths
1. Fluoride is mainly a naturally occurring mineral commonly found in water in varying amounts and depending on where you reside in the United States.
Fluoride occur naturally and is mostly used to help prevent tooth decay, and that’s why it’s added to most toothpaste brand.
2. Over 150 international, national and different organizations have recognized the benefits and value of fluoride.
3. Using fluoride is very economical. It is mostly used in water to protect teeth which reduce the need for costly dental procedures.
4. Adults and children at risk of dental decay can be cavity-free by frequently taking small amounts of fluoride, and this is best accomplished by drinking fluoridated water and brushing teeth twice a day, using fluoride toothpaste.
5. Good comprehensive scientific evidence strongly supports the use of water fluoridation community and the use of dental fluoride products for protecting and preventing tooth decay for both adult and children.
6. Fluoride has been credited to stop and even reverse tooth decaying process, It keeps the tooth stable and the enamel secure.
7. Most of the 50 largest cities in the United States, about 43 communities, get fluoridated tap water.
Fluoridation reaches up to 62% of the population through public water supplies, which is equal to 144 million people.
8. Fluids consumption which includes mostly: water, juice, soft drinks approximately accounts to 75 percent of fluoride intake in the United States.
9. Children under six years of age are more likely to develop enamel Fluorosis if they take more fluoride than needed. Enamel fluorosis is a [white spots] chalk-like discoloration of tooth enamel, thats, why to remove fluoride from water, is very important.
Where is fluoride found?
1. Dental Products
It’s estimated that 95 percent of all dental products [toothpaste] currently sold on the market today contain fluoride.
2. Processed Food and Beverages
For those communities that don’t have fluoride added to public tap water, if you drink beverages or processed beverage you are more likely to be getting fluoride without realizing it.
This is because the area where the drink was processed/created the water supply may have been fluoridated.
3.Teflon or Non-Stick Cooking Pans
This Teflon or non-stick cooking pots and pans increase the fluoride by three times in food according to the Journal of Dental Research published in 2015.
4. Non-organic Fruits, Vegetables, Juices, and Wine
We all want to eat healthier, so we always prefer eating more fruit juice and salads, but we end up getting a lot more fluoride.
The reason for this, vegetables and fruits that are conventionally grown [not organic] are directly sprayed with fluoride-based pesticides.
5. Non-organic meat and Bone Broth
Fluoride is mostly found in animal bones, the highest concentration of fluoride.
Those animals that are conventional [non-organic] fed a lot of grains like corn and soy usually sprayed with fluoride-based pesticides. in the water in the water.
Daniel Keringet is a market researcher and publisher (Best Osmosis Experts) who got an interest in topics related to
Water safety out of curiosity and passion from the time he got into college. Now he is a full-time writer living in Naperville Illinois.