Quick and easy methods on how to remove fluoride from water in the cheapest ways that are worth knowing.
Fluoride is commonly found in water, food and soil. It is synthetically produced for toothpaste, beverages, and different chemical products.
The Harvard Study that was conducted and published in July 2012 established that fluoride in water affects the development of a child’s brain, causes dental fluorosis, thyroid problems and skeletal fluorosis.
For these reasons, we’re going to explore the 10 best and cheapest methods that will completely remove/help you avoid fluoride in water; including the Editors’ Pick.
How to Get Rid of Fluoride in Water
1. Holy Basil(Tulsi) – Removing Fluoride from Drinking Water Naturally
Holy Basil is one of the best, proven and natural method of removing fluoride from water that is currently replacing other expensive ways.
Here is a simple and more natural way to cleanse water off fluoride.
If you soak 80mg of leaves and stems, either fresh or dry of Holy Basil in a 100ml of fluoridated water that contains over 7 parts per million of fluoride for 8 hours, fluoride in water will reduce to 1.1 parts per million. This is 80% fluoride removal efficiency, which the World Health Organization says are safe levels for consumption. (View Holy Basil Leaves on Amazon).
2. Faucet Mount Filters – Get Fluoride Free Water
Did you know that the best faucet mount filters are capable of removing up to 80 different types of water contaminants? They offer better performance, are affordable, easy to install and most importantly they offer the most convenient way for water filtration solutions.
The cartridges are made of micro screen layer and activated coconut coal which captures: sand, dust, heavy metals, chlorine, cysts, fluoride, metallic taste and odor from the water.
Also, the filters make use of an environmental-friendly way of filtering drinking water. They also do not use electricity. They are efficient with less water wastage, unlike other filter models.
Faucet Mount Filters come with a universal connection that fits most standard Faucets and with an easy to install process (no need to call your local plumber).
Recommended: Best Faucet Mount Filters Review.
3. Water Pitcher that Removes Fluoride
Pitchers are inexpensive, convenient and easy way to remove fluoride and other contaminants from your drinking water.
These fluoride water filters are certified to remove fluoride in water up to 95 percent. The cartridge can also last for more than five months so you can get a half year of clean filtered water without additional expenses.
The downside however, is that it has a capacity of filtering only 2-4 liters of water.
Read our review of the Best Pitcher Filter under $37
4. Fluoride vs Non-Fluoride Toothpaste
If you’re currently using toothpaste with fluoride mostly known as fluoridated toothpaste, you should consider switching to a non-fluoridated alternative which may benefit you. I do believe you may have already obtained enough fluoride through beverage, food and other sources.
Also, even if the fluoride is not swallowed directly, it can still find its way across the tooth gum membrane and directly enter the bloodstream. Best advice is to avoid fluoride from this toothpaste.
Fluoride toothpaste side effects and why you should avoid
While a majority of people believe that fluoride protects and prevent tooth decay, a lot of people don’t realize that fluoride causes dental fluorosis which mostly affects children.
Fluoride harmful effects have also been linked to thyroid problems, osteoporosis, endocrine problems, and cancer.
5. Drink Fluoride-free Water
Our body contains about 60% water which is very critical to function normally.
The essential functions of body fluids include the transportation of nutrients, absorption, digestion, circulation, and saliva creation.
Majority of people drink tap water which is the largest most daily source of fluoride intake.
To drastically reduce, or avoid ingesting fluoride through drinking tap water.
Here are three steps to take:-
1. You should contact your local city water department to inquire about the fluoride level in your water.
2. Install a fluoride water filter. Currently, the best and proven method to remove fluoride in tap water includes the use of de-ionizers, activated alumina and reverse osmosis.
3. Water Distillation: The third best way to remove fluoride from water is to buy a distillation unit which will remove close to 95% of fluoride.
6. Minimize Consumption of Processed Beverages
You will definitely agree with me when I say: “consuming processed food is a health risk and causes many health issues”.
When Juices, soft drinks, and beverages are manufactured with fluoridated water, fluoride may reach dangerous levels, thus exceeding the required safe amount of 1.5mg per day for a child and 4mg for an adult.
This may lead to fluoride health risks like skeletal and dental fluorosis, and even more severe cases like damage to the parathyroid gland.
Sugary drinks should always be avoided at all cost because they contain acidic carbonation that causes tooth decay.
7. Don’t take fluoride supplements
Fluoride supplements [drops, tablets and lozenges] that were introduced in the 1950s mostly targeting children living in un-fluoridated regions as a substitute for fluoridated water. These supplements are mostly used to prevent tooth decay and dental caries.
However, higher doses of fluoride supplements are unsafe and can weaken ligaments, bones, and negatively affect one’s nervous system negatively.
In children, high fluoride doses can affect and cause teeth discoloration on their permanent teeth.
8. Stop drinking too much green or black tea
Both green and black tea does contain high levels of fluoride and can immensely contribute to single high fluoride intakes.
Stop drinking too much green or black tea because it will definitely harm your health in the long run.
It is difficult to find tea without fluoride traces, so the best advice is to reduce cups of tea you take in a day so that you can reduce the intake of fluorides in your body.
9. Avoid Using Fluoridated Salts
Due to a few health benefits of fluoride such as the prevention of tooth decay, some countries including the United States have allowed the fluoride to be added on salt.
However, a new study concluded that the health risks of fluoride far outweigh the benefits.
If you are currently living in a country that allows fluoridated salt to be sold, always make sure you check and buy un-fluoridated salt.
10. Stop using Teflon-coated pans
Teflon-coated pans or mostly known as non-stick pans which are extremely popular due to easy cleaning and a special coating that primarily prevent food from sticking on to the pan surface.
Most of the nonstick pans are coated with Teflon. Over time the non-stick coating usually peels off thereby increasing fluoride content on food during cooking.
To minimize or avoid fluoride exposure, you should use stainless steel cooking pans for your daily cooking Stainless steel cooking pans are safe, long-lasting and healthy.
Does Boiling Tap Water Remove Fluoride
One of the most frequently asked questions on whether boiling tap water removes fluoride.
No, it does not,
Boiling tap water is well known for killing bacteria and dissolving gases like oxygen.
This makes water safe to drink in the event of some type of biological contamination and kills potentially dangerous micro-organisms.
However, it does not remove fluoride from water.
What does fluoride do to the body
1. Dental fluorosis
When a child is exposed to high levels of fluoride he or she is more likely to suffer from mild dental fluorosis. Specks and white streaks on the enamel will develop on the teeth, this will not affect the health of the child’s teeth, but the teeth discoloration will be noticeable.
High level or excessive fluoride intake can damage the parathyroid gland. In most cases, it can lead to hyper-parathyroidism. This can result in higher than average calcium concentration in the blood and depletion of bone structures.
3. Neurological problems
In 2017 researchers assessed 299 women fluoride levels during pregnancy and their children aged between 6 and 12 years, the report was published suggesting that fluoride exposure before birth could lead to weaker and poorer cognitive outcomes in future and a lower score on IQ tests.
Other health problems
International Association of Oral Medicine and Toxicology [IAOMT], an organization that is doing a spirited campaign against the use of fluoride and fluoride dangers, say that high-level intake of fluoride contributes to the following health problems:
– Early puberty in girls, lower fertility and reproductive issues
– Acne and skin rashers
– High blood pressure and heart failures
Remove Fluoride from your body with 4 Simple Ways
Below are four proven methods on how to remove fluoride from your body efficiently,
Fluoride, chlorine, and bromine are all bind to the iodine receptors in the body which displaces iodine that is why fluoride toxicity is always associated with iodine deficiency.
Fluoride is not part of heavy metals; that’s why cleansing your body of fluoride is totally different compared to getting rid of heavy metals like mercury.
1. Take Iodine supplementation
2. Always add Boron to your daily intake. It does an excellent job by naturally flushes out fluoride.
3. Eat Turmeric. Which contains a special primary poly-phenol agent known as curcumin capable of acting as an antioxidant.
4. Fulvic Acid is currently the best natural and most reliable source of electrolytes, it is capable of removing toxins like fluoride at a cellular stage.
Fluoride Facts and Myths
1. Fluoride is mainly a naturally occurring mineral commonly found in water in varying amounts and depending on where you reside in the United States.
Mostly used to help and prevent tooth decay, and that’s why it’s added to most toothpaste brand.
2. Over 150 international, national and different organizations have recognized the benefits and value of fluoride.
3. Using fluoride is very economical, mostly used in water to protect teeth which reduce the need for costly dental procedures.
4. Adults and children at risk of dental decay can be cavity-free by frequently taking small amounts of fluoride, and this is best accomplished by drinking fluoridated water and brushing teeth twice a day, using fluoride toothpaste.
5. Good comprehensive scientific evidence strongly supports the use of water fluoridation community and the use of dental fluoride products for protecting and preventing tooth decay for both adult and children.
6. Fluoride has been credited to stop and even reverse tooth decaying process, It keeps the tooth stable and the enamel secure.
7. Most of the 50 largest cities in the United States, about 43 communities, get fluoridated tap water.
Fluoridation reaches up to 62% of the population through public water supplies, which is equal to 144 million people.
8. Fluids consumption which includes mostly: water, juice, soft drinks approximately accounts to 75 percent of fluoride intake in the United States.
9. Children under six years of age are more likely to develop enamel Fluorosis if they take more fluoride than needed. Enamel fluorosis is a [white spots] chalk-like discoloration of tooth enamel,
Where is fluoride found?
1. Dental Products
It’s estimated that 95 percent of all dental products [toothpaste] currently sold on the market today contain fluoride.
2. Processed Food and Beverages
For those communities that don’t have fluoride added to public tap water, if you drink beverages or processed beverage you are more likely to be getting fluoride without realizing it.
This is because the area where the drink was processed/created the water supply may have been fluoridated.
3.Teflon or Non-Stick Cooking Pans
This Teflon or non-stick cooking pots and pans increases the fluoride by three times in food according to the Journal of Dental Research published in 2015.
4. Non-organic Fruits, Vegetables, Juices, and Wine
We all want to eat healthier, so we always prefer eating more fruit juice and salads, but we end up getting a lot more fluoride.
The reason for this, vegetables and fruits that are conventionally grown [not organic] are directly sprayed with fluoride-based pesticides.
5. Non-organic meat and Bone Broth
Fluoride is mostly found in animal bones, the highest concentration of fluoride.
Those animals that are conventional [non-organic] fed a lot of grains like corn and soy usually sprayed with fluoride-based pesticides.
Fluoride is directly found in water but the concentration that would cause undesirable effects is usually very minimal. Although fluoride in water is usually safe and does not pose a detectable risk of cancer in human beings; Parents are advised to always instruct their children to rinse their mouths and carefully every time after brushing and to avoid swallowing toothpaste. Further still, they can switch to non-fluoridated toothpaste brands. fluoride free water. Finally, a safe and natural way to detoxify your whole body against fluoride, tamarind fluoride detox, Iodine, and curcumin is advisable.
What is Water Fluoridation?
- 7 Best Submersible Well Pumps for Domestic Use (Review with Buying Guide 2020) - December 17, 2019
- Aquabliss SF100 vs SF220 vs SF300 – Which is the Best of the Three? - November 11, 2019
- Toilet Gurgling When Flushing With Simple 7 D-I-Y Steps (Complete Guide) - October 27, 2019