After evaluating performance data and reviews from verified buyers, we determined that Aquatru, Berkey, and Aquasana were the best countertop water filters for the majority of regular households.
Although these countertop water filters are not the most costly on the market, they do incorporate cutting-edge technology, such as filter element components that are appropriately dosed to generate the perfect composition that provides the best clean and pure water.
We conducted a detailed evaluation of these three products and determined the best overall choice for home use. We hope that this comparison will give you valuable information to help you make an informed decision about which countertop to choose.
Disclaimer: Best Osmosis Experts is supported by readers. If you make a purchase after clicking on one of the links in this article, we may get an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you.
Here is a summary of our findings.
Our Best Pick
“POWERFUL Black Berkey filtration – eliminate 99.9% of harmful viruses and pathogenic bacteria”.
“Best for preserving essential minerals like magnesium, calcium and potassium + Affordable.”
- 1 Berkey vs. AquaTru vs. Aquasana Water Filter: Comparison Table
- 1.1 Product Reviews
- 1.2 1. AquaTru Water Filter
- 1.3 2. Big Berkey Water Filter
- 1.4 3. Aquasana Water Filter
Berkey vs. AquaTru vs. Aquasana Water Filter: Comparison Table
|Filtration Method||Reverse osmosis||Gravitation Force||Carbon filtration|
|Certified by NSF||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Dimensions||8.5 x 8.5 x 19.25 inches||18 x 18 x 15 inches||12 x 7 x 4 inches|
|Capacity||7 liters||1 liter||N/A|
Several factors must be considered when looking for the best countertop water filter. It is just as vital to know what countertop water filters do as it is to know what they do not do. Even if they all look nice on your sink, they don’t all work the same way.
Chemical and biological impurities that are not eliminated by the treatment facility should be blocked by countertop water filters.
The finest countertop water filters, according to performance statistics and customer ratings, filter out chlorine, chlorine by-products (THMs), volatile organic compounds (VOCs), lead (a hazardous metal), pesticides, herbicides, micron particles, and cysts.
After testing unfiltered water with Big Berkey, Aquasana AQ-4000W, and Aquatru countertop water filtration systems, the Big Berkey water filter was determined to be the best water filter.
Here are the outcomes.
Unfiltered tap water:
- Arsenic: 2.0 parts per billion (ppb).
- Uranium: 240: 3.0 ppb.
- Aluminum: 94ppb.
- Fluoride: 0.8 ppb.
Filtered water with Big Berkey water filter
- Arsenic: less than 1ppb.
- Uranium238: less than 1 ppb.
- Aluminum: 19 ppb.
- Fluoride: 0.4 ppb
The Big Berkey Countertop water filter looks to be an incredible water filter that can provide perfectly clean drinking water from this analysis.
The Best Countertop Water Filter
Big Berkey BK4X2 with 2 Black Water Filter Elements
Other notable features about this unit include.
- Easy installation.
- Aesthetically, the Berkey is stainless steel leaving it with an incredibly clean finish.
- Filters water for around one year (1000 gallons).
- The height of this filter is close to 20 inches, and the diameter is close to 9. This means this filter is significantly larger than others.
- Certified by NSF/EPA.
- Includes pre-filter and carbon block filter.
- Includes 90-day money-back guarantee plus a lifetime warranty.
The installation process is rather simple. The item attaches to your sink faucet via a hose and diverter valve. Depending on the type of faucet you have, finding the proper faucet adapter can be difficult.
However, most faucets do not require an adaptor to connect the diverter to the faucet. All of the fittings required to complete the installation are included.
The water that comes out of the Berkey water filter is of excellent quality. It tastes pure and appears crystal clear, so the filter lives up to its name in this regard. The rate at which the water comes out of the unit is also impressive.
Depending on how regularly you use it, the unit will purify water for around a year, or approximately 1000 gallons. When the rated maximum capacity is achieved, the water flow rate decreases, and it is recommended that the filter be replaced.
1. AquaTru Water Filter
This countertop utilizes an entirely different process for purifying water. It mimics the complete four-stage ultra reverse osmosis process used by bottled water brands that have proven to eliminate 15 times more contaminants than pitcher filters, so you are guaranteed to get quality water right at home.
Aquatru ultra reverse osmosis is a four-stage purification system that removes 5 microns or larger particles, and the output is very pure, clean water. The system is compatible with any 10-inch cartridge. A larger 10-inch cartridge allows a bigger surface area for more effective filtration.
First, it carries-out mechanical filtration. Mechanical filtration takes advantage of Fickian diffusion. That diffusion process causes the absorption of contaminants whenever contaminated water passes over and moistens fibers.
When water passes over solid absorbent, particles in the water adhere to the surface of the filter. The other three filtration stages combine to cleanse unwanted chemicals while preserving healthy minerals such as calcium, potassium, and magnesium.
This stylish chrome filter sits atop your counter and filters water from your kitchen tap, and the Clear housing unit allows visible monitoring for you to see when the filter is ready to be changed. The value proposition of this water filter is that you use the system from 6 months to 2 years and then dispose of the whole thing.
- Dimensions: 18 x 18 x 15 inches.
- NSF/ANSI certified to remove 82 contaminants.
- You can use any 10-inch filter cartridge when it comes time to replace.
- Toll-free assembly and installation.
- Material: plastic.
- Easy to install.
- Easy to use.
- Value for money.
2. Big Berkey Water Filter
This large cylindrical housing tank has two black Berkey water filters, two fluoride elements, and a spout for water flow. In addition to being top quality water filters, it generally comes with an extended period warranty.
This stylish chrome filter sits atop your counter and filters water from your kitchen tap, providing you with clean drinking water on demand.
Berkey’s fame is that it promises to remove pathogenic bacteria and entirely. Its 1.0 Micron reliable block filter cartridge removes even super tiny particles of impurities, including things like rust, chlorine, and other materials, from the water. After removing contaminants, the filter also includes a remineralization phase, which adds calcium back to the water to improve its pH and offers a more enjoyable taste.
This massive stainless steel water filter lasts significantly longer than other filters on this list with a capacity of filtering 1000 gallons and can hold up to 2.25 gallons. This is a major appeal as it will ensure that it will have plenty of water on hand when you’re thirsty.
The filter also comes in a variety of colors, allowing you to personalize it for your kitchen. Besides the best performance results, you should look closely at the number of gallons the cartridge has filtered before replacement is needed.
- Dimensions: 8.5 x 8.5 x 19.25 inches.
- Material: stainless steel.
- Holds 2.25 gallons of purified water.
- Lifespan of 6000 gallons or six months.
- Last long.
- Easy to install.
- Value for money.
- Not ideal for daily use.
3. Aquasana Water Filter
Aquasana is a countertop design water filter that offers a low maintenance cost-saving alternative to other typical countertop systems. With a maximum output of 30 to 90 gallons per day, this water filter promises plenty of water even for larger families.
It employs four stages of filtering and removes chlorine and other contaminants. What differs from this water filter is that they focus mainly on filtering out as many chemicals as possible, creating really clean water.
It is NSF certified to remove over 97% of chlorine and 76 other contaminants such as arsenic chromium six copper, fluoride, heavy metals, pesticides, sediments, rust, and other microscopic particles.
Stage one uses a sediment pre-filter to filter out larger particles and protect the rest of the system from clogging. Next comes a coconut shell granular activated carbon filter that absorbs chlorine unpleasant tastes and odors, cloudiness and colors, and volatile compounds.
Next, the RO membrane comes into play with a TDS rejection rate of 98 to 99%. Finally, another activated carbon filter comes into play to remove any residual taste.
Although this twin cartridge 4 stage filtration system removes unwanted chemicals, it preserves healthy minerals such as calcium, potassium, and magnesium to give you fresh-tasting water. A major perk with this filter is that it can hold up to 2.5 gallons of water, making the purified water much more easily accessible.
This water filter is limited to 500 gallons of water. This equates to approximately six months. All you have to remember is to replace the disposable pre-filters once or twice a year to keep up output water quality.
- Dimensions: 12 x 7 x 4 inches.
- A flow rate of 0.4 GPM.
- Only 11 cents per gallon.
- Certified to remove 97% of chlorine and reduces 76 other contaminants.
- Easily attaches.
- Easy to assemble.
- Value for money.
- The filter is expensive.
There is no telling what is coming through that new tap. Many contaminants are not detectable by taste or smell and may even evade specific diagnostic tests specifically designed to find impurities. In any home, it’s a good idea to install countertop water filters.
The best countertop water filter can be an effective way to protect yourself and your family from hidden contaminants. It is an easy and relatively inexpensive way to give yourself peace of mind. Why roll the dice and assume that it is okay because the water tastes fine and smells fine.
You might assume that there are low levels of contaminants. These low levels are not harmful in individual doses, but, over time, the possible harmful effects are difficult to predict. You can count on countertop water filters work to keep these contaminants out of the water you and your family depend on.
Is Berkey Water Alkaline?
Depending on the type of water you use, the pH of the water may change after filtering water with Berkey. Alkaline water is slightly sweeter than pure water. Pollutants increase the acidity in the water, and if you use Berkey water filter, it will filter out those contaminants and raise the alkalinity of the water providing clean drinking water.
When Should I Change My Aquatru Water Filter?
Use of the pre-filter for six months, the reverse osmosis for two years or 1200 gallons, whichever comes first, and the carbon filter for one year or 890 gallons before disposing of the whole system is needed to realize the value proposition of this water filter.
The Aquatru displays light to keep track of the working condition of the filter. Yellow filters (6 months), green filters (12 months) blue filter (24 months)
Does Aquatru Water Filter Remove Minerals?
We require a dependable water filter that is capable of removing contaminants safely. Aquatru water filter is one such water filter that reduces chlorine, lead and other heavy metals to less than 5 percent by volume, nitrates and nitrites from pasture and pesticides to less than 15 percent by volume, and fluoride by at least 95 percent by volume while retaining natural minerals for the healthiest and best-tasting water.
Is Aquasana Water Filter the Best?
Much has been said about different water filter systems, but nothing comes close to the Aquasana Water Filter. Aquasana water filters have been rated as the top brand in water purifiers; the Aquasana AQ-4000 has been voted six years in a row for ‘Best Buy’. The Aquasana system has been proven to remove waste and chemicals typically found in drinking water, including the highly potent Lead and Chlorine substances.
Why choose an Aquasana water filter? The Underwriters Laboratories conducted performance tests under NSF standards, and the favorable results were published and certified by the California Department of Health Services.
It’s among the best water filter in the market. Below are some of the advantages of owning an Aquasana Water Filter System according to its manufacturers:
1. Tested and certified by the California Department of Health for contaminant reduction claims
2. Tested under more challenging conditions to determine effectively of claims, i.e. for lead reduction efficiency, the system was tested at a level 10% higher (155-160) than the certification requirement 0f 150 parts per billion based on a 500-gallon test cycle.
3. Tested under real-life conditions by adding challenged chemicals to regular chlorinated tap water
4. Uses selective filtration – a better way than distillation and reverse osmosis
5. Uses a dual filtration system – filters out contaminants and leaves the natural trace of minerals
6. More economical than most popular water filtration brand
7. Easy to install and easy to maintain
8. Backed up by excellent technical support
9. Has a lifetime warranty
The advantages outlined are advantages the manufacturers boast of. On the other hand, if you think that’s too much of hype because it’s coming from the manufacturers themselves, check out the benefits consumers report says about Aquasana.
Since the Aquasana Water Filter is equipped with dual filtration, there is the main filter that will not need to be replaced for approximately 36 months, and a pre-filter that will have to be replaced every four months. What’s great is that the filters are one of the most affordable in the market.
This system removes contaminants but leaves behind any natural nutrients in the water. Water always contains natural minerals.
• Easy to Install and Maintain
There is an installation instruction that comes with the unit. When it comes to Maintenance, you have to change the pre-filter every four months and the main filter after three years.
• Excellent Customer Service
The company has excellent customer service and technical support that you need at any time.
• Lifetime Warranty
Aquasana is so assured of the effectiveness of their product that they are not afraid to give out a lifetime warranty. That’s how confident they are!
In a nutshell, Aquasana water filters have what it takes to be among top water purifiers in the market.
How Long Does Aquatru Water Filters Last?
Your Aquatru water filter machine should tell you which filters to change. You are recommended to keep track of the filter when you install it. Yellow filters (every six months), Green filters (every 12 months), and Blue filter (every 24 months).
Does Aquasana Water Filter Soften Water?
Aquasana EQ-300 can filter out synthetic chemicals like prescription drugs, chlorine, lead, VOCs, THMs, herbicide and many more contaminants, while also softening the water. The primary purpose of filtration is to make the water as healthy as possible. When considering the purchase of a whole house water filter and a water softener, you should keep a few things in mind.
1. One of the first things to look for is that a whole house water filter system utilizes a multi-stage filtration process that is certified by NSF. Typically, if your home is on city water, the whole home system goes before the water softener. This is to remove chlorine before it mixes with the resins inside of the softener.
2. If you use well water, then chlorine is not a problem you have to deal with. In this case, it is a good idea to have the whole house filtration system treats the home after the water softener.
3. The main purpose of a water softener is to remove high levels of “hard” minerals such as calcium. However, many whole house filters are capable of reducing iron, calcium and other hardening agents down to five microns, yet still, retain healthy minerals. In other words, your home water filter system won’t be as effective at removing hard water but will still perform similarly to a standard softener. The big difference being that no sodium is added, which is a lot healthier for you and your family. Since the water softening process adds sodium, you are not distributing the purest water possible throughout your home. The water becomes so full of salt that it can be tasted. If your home currently does use a softener, the water you drink must be filtered at the point of use.
4. In addition to removing minerals, some softeners can also reduce other contaminants like heavy metals and sulfates. They nonetheless don’t even come close to the ultra-filtration capability of a high-quality whole house filtration system.
In conclusion a home filtration system such Aquasana water filter gives a lot of benefits, such as healthy drinking water, filtered showers and baths, longer-lasting appliances and less chloroform gas in the air.
Daniel Keringet is a market researcher and publisher (Best Osmosis Experts) who got an interest in topics related to
Water safety out of curiosity and passion from the time he got into college. Now he is a full-time writer living in Naperville Illinois.